Pagina's

20 sep. 2015

Makeup Geek: First Impressions & Review.

If you've been a fan of beautyblogs and -vlogs on Youtube, there is no chance in hell that you have not heard of Makeup Geek. They're supposed to be similar in formula as MAC shadows, for a third of the price - and not unimportant for me, cruelty free! People have been raving high and low about these. My inner hipster is always sceptical of hyped up stuff ('It can't be THAT good?!') so of course, I had to try it myself.

Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, New Year's Eve, Vegas Lights Swatch Review


Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, New Year's Eve, Vegas Lights Swatch Review

Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, New Year's Eve, Vegas Lights Swatch Review

I figured I better start off small and order just 3 things: the eyeshadow pan in Cocoa Bear and the pigments in the shades New Year's Eve and Vegas Lights.

Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear Swatch Review

First off: Cocoa Bear. This is one of the best sellers. It's a pretty dark warm brown. Warm browns seem to be hip and happening right now, and I was lacking some warm brown shades, so I figured it would be a good choice. Honestly, I was expecting it to be a bit darker, but it is still a great crease shade.

About the quality: I can't really compare it to MAC matte eyeshadows, because I've only owned (and got rid of!) shimmery MAC shadows. Nonetheless, it is a nice eyeshadow and works nicely. It did not completely blow me away (which is rarely the case with matte eyeshadows) but I will definitely use it a lot. The pigmentation is great too (swatches are below) and is not chalky. Yep, nothing to complain.

Ingredients:
Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyisobutene
May Contain: 
Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Polyethylene, PTFE, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Lauroyl Lysine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Methicone, Dimethicone, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77289, Ultramarines CI 77007, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Manganese Violet CI 77742dc Black No. 2 CI 77266, C13-16 Isoparaffin, C12-C14 Isoparaffin, C13-C15 Alkane, Carmine CI 75470, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Red 6 Lake CI 15850, Tin Oxide, Zinc Stearate

Makeup Geek New Year's Eve, Vegas Lights Swatch Review

Next up: the pigments. I've been lusting after New Year's Eve ever since I saw this picture on Phyrra's blog. It has been the underdog of MUG's pigments and I wonder why. It looked like the perfect classy party shade, if that makes sense. Well, in reality, it is even prettier! It has a slightly pinkish/peachy/beigy base shade with gold glitter (does not pick up well on camera). Absolutely stunning and I'm definitely sporting this next New Year's Eve, hehe. Looks magnificent in direct sunlight and artificial light.

Vegas Lights was a more rational choice as I came to the conclusion that I did not own a copper pigment, so in my shopping cart it went. This does not really have a base, it is more a pigment packed with copper glitter. Also very pretty. If you build it up, it can look like a foiled eyeshadow. It is slightly darker than it is on my pictures.

They are not hard to work with. Both give some fall out, but since they are loose glitters that is to be expected. Also, I've heard many people complain about the previous packaging (it had no sifter or anything whatsoever) so I'm very glad to see that they have listened and changed it. Now it comes semi-closed with a little thingy in the lid that shuts it off (very explanation, much clear, wow... you can see it in the picture above). It closes it completely so no unwanted glitterparty when you open it.

Ingredients:
May Contain:
Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Boron Nitride, Bronze Powder CI 77400, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77288, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Copper Powder CI 77400, Dimethicone, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77520, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Kaolin, Lauroyl Lysine, Manganese Violet CI 77742, Nylon-12, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Silica, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Tin Oxide, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Ultramarines CI 77007, Zinc Stearate
Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, New Year's Eve, Vegas Lights Swatch Review
New Year's Eve, Cocoa Bear and Vegas Lights - indirect sunlight
Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, New Year's Eve, Vegas Lights Swatch Review
New Year's Eve, Cocoa Bear and Vegas Lights - direct sunlight

Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, New Year's Eve, Vegas Lights Swatch Review

Yes, very content with these. Personally I find New Year's Eve is the kicker of them all, I just love the shade so much. Cocoa Bear is a great shade to have and I'm pleased with the quality. I can see myself purchasing more shades in the future. I'm not extremely blown away by it, but that may just be me and might need to try more shades to judge. I can recommend Vegas Lights as well. They have a bunch of colours and definitely get my stamp of approval, so if you're not sure to buy these: try them out!

Eyeshadow pan: $6 each for 1,8 gr., which is the size of a MAC eyeshadow. (How come the pans hold more product than the pigments, what sorcery is going on?!)
Pigment: $9 for 1,4gr,, but I think they have 'shade of the week' sorta thing where one shade is 50% off, just so you know!

Shipping to the Netherlands was around $9.

Shop link
Have you tried MUG yet? Are you planning on trying them?