Pagina's

31 dec. 2015

Surviving Without Smartphone: Can It Be Done?

Say hello to my little friend, the Samsung B3310. This little guy with the size of a creditcard has stuck with me for years and years now, probably since... 2010? Except for when I dropped mine last year, shattered the screen and bought the exact same one for nothing less than 35 euros. This guy does nothing more than texting and being able to make calls (next to having a camera with potato quality and some disappointing previews of even more disappointing games), but for me, that is actually enough.





Whenever I take my phone out, other than people losing their shit over the coolness that is my phone (it has been an icebreaker for sure) the first question I get is why I never switched to a smartphone. It is partially about me being lazy (the paperwork!), being satisfied with this my tiny little friend but also I have never had the strong urge to get one. Never have I actually considered getting a smartphone. I have played with the idea, but came to the conclusion that it would be too much of a hassle and too much money for me to cut the knot (have I mentioned that this phone only costs me about 7 euros per month?!)

Other than that, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Sure, I don't have Snapchat and Instagram is a world I have never entered before, but I don't feel like I'm missing out at all. At the end of the day, I can text someone whenever I have something important to share, and the only thing I'm not able to do is being silly with my friends on Snapchat, for example. Sure, Instagram might boost my blog ratings and I'm not as approachable as any other blogger that do have those things, but you can still send me a tweet (@PotentiallyChiq *cough*) or email me. Plus, I was able to get a good amount of followers through old skool methods so I don't feel like it is absolutely necessary.























Another great aspect is that I'm not tempted to look on my phone all the time. Not to throw shade, or being all moralistic, but it's the truth. I have less social media to maintain and the only time I look on my phone is whenever someone texts me (so twice a day, maybe). For Facebook I can simply use my laptop. I can't receive internet on my phone so there's simply nothing else left to do.

Also, I have no risk at cracked screens. I have dropped this more times than I can count and only some scratches here and there. And: thieves are not interested in stealing my phone, because, let's face it, who wants to steal this thing?


However, I have to admit that stuff like Instagram and Snapchat do look like a lot of fun and WhatsApp seems really easy to just send quick messages and engage in a group conversation. But it also makes me wonder, is it really worth the money, hassle and possible addiction? (Wow, does that sound like a line from Sex & The City or what!).

I might look at it completely different in a year or less, but for now, I'm happy where I am.

What are your experiences? Have you considered going back to the old Nokia days?