Pagina's

16 jan. 2016

Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating Powder Review

Confession time: I'm honestly not a fan of The Mary-Lou Manizer by TheBalm. I know, don't throw rocks at me! Even though every person out there seems to love it and swears by it, I don't feel the love. On my super fair skin, it is actually borderline dark and it's honestly just too intense - it just looks off. So when I saw Hollie Forrest on Youtube (check her out!) use this and said that it had that beautiful, candlelit glow (my favourite kind of glow) I had to search for pictures. To my surprise, it looked like the Mary-Lou but lighter and softer. I was curious and in my shopping cart it went.

Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating powder review


Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating powder review

Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating powder review

The description on the website suggests that you can use it as an all-over face powder that is supposed to blur the look of imperfections. I never understand why companies think that shimmery things blur imperfections because they simply do not. If it shimmers, it highlights. So I don't use it as an 'blurring powder'. For me, it is just a highlighter.

Okay, to start on a negative note, the packaging kind of pissed me off. This is a €30 highlight, you guys, and they give you this cheap silver plastic packaging? I paid less as it was on sale, but still. At least throw in a mirror or something! It is not the sturdiest in the world either. Not very prone to breaking, but for the price, I expect MAC Mineralize packaging or some sort since those are about the same price range. First world problems here, but I was not too pleased and my jimmies were rustled.

Another thing that lifted my eyebrows, was the little warning on the back (of which I stupidly enough don't have a picture). It says that it contains AHA which makes your skin extra sensitive to sunshine, so they advise you to apply sunscreen beforehand. To quote Miranda Sings: What the even heck? Why not, you know, just... not put this ingredient in your product? Just an idea. Dang man, I should get a Noble price for being smart or some ish.

(Nah, I know I'm oversimplying things, dear readers. But my point still stands... a bit.)

Ingredients:

Mica, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecanol, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Retinol, Ceramide AP, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Lactic Acid, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

I was not too pleased with the ingredients. It doesn't get a great rating on EWG Skin Deep and got some carcinogenic (means that it can cause cancer) ingredients like retinol (Vitamin A). That is quite off-putting, I wish I had researched it before purchasing, actually. I might want to try to find a dupe. But until that time, I will use it. If you are not bothered by not-so-great ingredients, just ignore this section.

Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating powder review swatch
Afterglow highlight: one swipe - blended out
Now let's get on to the part that actually matters, Floortje - yes, I'm throwing shade at myself: the glow. It is truly beautiful. It is a very, very light champagne. It is very neutral and it will go with many looks. It really flatters my skin tone! It is, as I expected, not too intense either. Although, you can build it up to an intense highlight if you want to, but that is not really my thing. Personally, I like that it is more subtle, so you kind of have the best of both worlds in here.

The texture to touch is fairly dry. It is not as buttery-smooth as the Mary-Lou but you know, it is alright. It is not powdery, so that is nice.

Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating powder review swatch
Pür Minerals Afterglow on my face

This picture really does not do it justice, but with the gloomy weather we've been having lately, this was the best I could do. In reality, it is more intense, but at least you can get the idea of how the shade looks on my skin.

It doesn't really emphasise pores, but come on you guys. It is a highlight. Anything that highlights will highlight the texture on your skin. There is no escaping that. Although, since the shine is not too intense, it doesn't highlight texture as much as the Mary-Lou does that has a higher shine. But I found that I deminish that effect by patting it on the skin, instead of swiping it on, so you kind of 'fill up' the lines you might have - sounds like it doesn't make any sense, but it really helps with texture and makes it appear more smooth.

The lasting time is very nice. It does fade a little, but there is definitely still something left at the end of the day.

Now that I can't shut up and stop comparing this one to the Mary-Lou, I damn well owe you a side-to-side comparison:

Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating powder review swatch
Catrice Vanility Fair - Pür Minerals Afterglow - TheBalm Mary-Lou Manizer

Here they are side-by-side. I added Vanility Fair by Catrice because it is comparable when it comes to lightness. The Pür Minerals one is slightly darker and the shine is more intense - the Catrice one is more satin, but then again, that one is an eyeshadow. I decided to throw that one in anyway.

Mary-Lou on my skin is darker and more bronze/golden than Afterglow. Afterglow is a true neutral champagne and as said, with a lesser shine. It's like Mary-Lou's little, more well-behaved sister. I definitely prefer this one over the Mary-Lou. If you're fair and if Mary-Lou was a little too dark or intense for you: you will love this.


Pür Minerals Afterglow Illuminating powder review

Okay, while there are some bits and bops about this highlight that I don't fully understand, I do really love the thing. I have worn it a ton since I got it. Although I normally gravitate towards unusual highlights, this one is amazing. It goes with everything and the shine is indeed candlelit. Very purty.

It is not the cheapest in the bunch, it goes around €30 on feelunique.com, where I got it (and probably the cheapest place to get it in Europe). But if I sparked your interest, you can rush to it now, as it is still on sale: link here. I personally can justify the price as I can see myself getting a lot of use out of it. It contains 8 grams, so that will probably last me forever. For me personally, it has become a staple, but if you like something super intense or if you are darker than fair, you might want to skip this. Pür Minerals is cruelty free.

I bought this product myself with my hard-earned money. Not affiliated or sponsored, all opinions are my own.