Pagina's

7 feb. 2016

Makeup Geek Swatchpost!

 Hi there, party people! You may remember my first introduction to Makeup Geek from a few months ago. I was not completely overwhelmed. I really liked the eyeshadows, but since I don't have a lot of experience with pressed eyeshadows, I didn't know what to expect.
In the months to come, I found myself gravitating towards my first shadow, Cocao Bear, more and more. Then I saw that Beautybay started selling Makeup Geek, which means: no more custom fees! And free shipping. This Christmas I thought 'You know, what the heck' and ordered a bunch of eyeshadows. Here are my new babies with swatches!

Makeup Geek Swatches

I wanted to expand my neutrals because funny enough, I have plenty of awesome indie coloured shadows, but not enough neutrals to 'ground' them. I only owned the Naked Basics 2, but since that one is only cool toned, I wanted to have more warm tones to reach for, so I did.

Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches

In my palette you can see, left to right, top to bottom:

First row:
Hipster
Frappe
Cocoa Bear (which I already had)
Americano

Second row:
Pretentious
Desert Sands
Chickadee
Morocco

Third row:
Envy
Time Travel

I store mine in the simple palette that I got off eBay for a couple of bucks. It's even magnetic and you can take out the foamy bit if you want, to create your own small z-palette! Just search for 'magnetic empty makeup palette' and it should pop up.


Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches Hipster Frappe Cocoa Bear Americano
Hipster - Frappe - Cocoa Bear - Americano
Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches Hipster Frappe Cocoa Bear Americano
Hipster - Frappe - Cocoa Bear - Americano
Hipster: A neutral, satin brown shade. Warmer on the skin than it is in the pan. Great crease shade (despite not being matte), I use it a ton.
Frappe: Is actually very close to Cocoa Bear. It is a more toned-down version, so you can use that to blend Cocoa Bear out.
Cocoa Bear: As reviewed before, a nice warm brown. Leans fairly red on me. Very pretty! A must-have for everyone who is into warm shades.
Americano: Maybe my favourite of all the shades I ordered. Extremely versatile and can be used with every other shade to deepen up the outer v.

Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches Pretentious Desert Sands Chickadee Morocco
Pretentious - Desert Sands - Chickadee - Morocco
Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches Pretentious Desert Sands Chickadee Morocco
Pretentious - Desert Sands - Chickadee - Morocco
Pretentious: Was a last-minute discovery for me. Quite similar to Hipster, but more golden/ bronze and warmer. I would describe it as a bronze with shimmer. The shimmer is not very out-there, though, and it doesn't foil very well. Makes a nice lid shade for neutral days.
Desert Sands: A warm, dark ochre. Extremely pretty. Gorgeous in the crease. Love this shade!
Chickadee: It's Desert Sands' little sister. Lighter but same tone. Makes a great match with Cocoa Bear on the lid and blended out with Chickadee (see look below!). It is less scary and bright on the eye, trust me!
Morocco: A red-toned orange. The name is very well chosen, it has an oriental vibe. Still have to find a way to implement this in a look as it is fairly bright and very warm.

Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches Envy Time Travel
Envy - Time Travel
Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Swatches Envy Time Travel
Envy - Time Travel

Envy: A shimmery emerald green. This one was on my wishlist from the beginning but I have used it the least. Stunning shade nonetheless. Shimmer once again is quite subdued.
Time Travel: A dark teal. Slightly more green than Makeup Geek's Peacock. Amazing shade for a pop of colour, I'm all over shades like this. I've worn it once all over the lid as a smokey eye and it was pretty (very heavy for what I normally wear, but at least according to my boyfriend it was a succes).

Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Cocoa Bear Chickadee

Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Cocoa Bear Chickadee

I used Cocoa Bear on the lid and blended it all out with Chickadee. That's all! A great warm look that reminds me of cinnamon and caramel. Easypeazy yet fancyschmancy.


If you want to read more about the formula, I will direct you to my previous review but in summary, these are amazing, pigmented, soft and easy to blend and the quality is consistent. Are these the best quality ever and ever? Probably not, but they work really well. Are they enough to make a jawdropping shimmery look? Nope, you will need indies for awesome shimmer. Is it worth to have some of these neutral shades at hand? Absolutely!

Shimmers are not what Makeup Geek does best (although I have yet to try the duochromes and foiled eyeshadows) but these are amazing basics. The mattes work very nicely and the shade range is huge. I count on these for my neutrals and use them for almost every look. I'm secretly planning on getting some new shades that were out of stock at the time. Once I do, I will do some more swatches!

Makeup Geek eyeshadows pans are (as of now): €6,50 each on Beautybay, but it changes with the exchange rate, so sometimes it's 10 cent more or less. I think the price is very decent, as the shadows in the Makeup Geek store are $6, so the difference is not even that big. Plus, free shipping (over €15) and no custom fees to Europe (because Beautybay is based in England), so it saves a ton of money. The shadows do go out of stock every now and then which sucks, but just be patient! I found that Beautybay does a great job in restocking stuff on time. Just don't get your hopes up on getting Cherry Cola, that thing is never ever in stock ever.

Was there a shade that caught your eye? Do you have a mini Makeup Geek-collection?