Pagina's

11 mrt. 2016

e.l.f. - Coy Blush Review

No indie review?! What's happening! No, my dear friends. Today I'm coming to you with a review from a mainstream brand.

I have seen this blush pop up over the internet some time. But there weren't a lot of clear swatches and it looked different in every one. In some it even looked a bit weird. If you know me, you know that I'm all about weird looking makeup (that is probably not even very flattering but hey), so I wanted to know what the fuzz was all about. Plus, I thought coy was one of those chinese fish (turns out that that is a koi, but I was close!), and was secretly hoping it would have the same glistening as their scales, so that intrigued me even more. I put it to the test, did it exceed my expectations?





This was my first experience with e.l.f. blushes. They are pretty damn cheap, and you can see that in the packaging. The packaging is white plastic with a translucent lid. I didn't have a picture of the back, but basically there's only a sticker with 'Coy' on it. Nothing more, nothing less. I can appreciate this straightforwardness, because that's really the only thing you need to know anyway.

The brush is not bad quality, actually. It is not scratchy, but actually pretty soft! Not sure if I can use it though because it is way to small to blush applications. It's about the size of half my thumb. There's a tiny mirror behind the brush, but again, it is way too small to be of good use. You can check your eye makeup in there, but nothing that's any bigger.

Ingredients:
Talc, Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Dimethicone, Polyisobutene, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Tin Oxide (CI 77861), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

I mean, the ingedients aren't high quality or fancy by any means, but they aren't bad either. It gets a 1 on Skin Deep (which means the ingredients aren't dangerous, toxic or will infiltrate your body) so you won't have to worry about it! Unless you are sensitive for talc - in that case you might want to skip it.


Look how pretty!

In the pan, it is a medium dusty mauve with a golden sheen and a hint of brown. Quite special! On my skin (in the swatch) it is a bit pinker, but on the cheeks it turns out darker again. Ah, the logic. 

The pigmentation is good. It's not overly pigmented, but I have to be a bit careful and a small tab in the powder is all I need for one cheek. It applies with no issue and it blends out beautifully! It kicks up a tiny bit of powder, but I wouldn't necessarily label it powdery.

I will just be frank. I love this shade. I never really used to wear blush except for my beloved Nars Douceur, but I notice that I gravitate towards this blush more and more. It has somewhat of a greyish undertone to it (very subtle) so it contours my face at the same time and the sheen gives a pretty highlight. Definitely a blush that is great for when you're in a hurry!

The golden sheen is borderline too dark for me, as true golds never really look right on my skintone (personal preference). But the highlight is not overpowering, it just gives a sheen, so I'm okay with it. I heard some people say that it contain glitter, but I can't find any? And that's coming from me; if I find ANY glitter on my cheekproducts, I will not use it. But there's no glitter in here! Maybe a reformulation?

The shade is very versatile and goes with about every look. In my eyes, it's the perfect fall shade.

Fresh cheek, only some foundation
Coy applied
(Lipstick is Milani - Matte Beauty. Review coming up!)

In my full-face pictures, Coy is all I applied - no, really! No highlight, no contour, nothing. Yet it gives the illusion I did. Love, love, love.

I can't say too much about the staying power as I don't really have much problems with staying power anyway (finally, a benefit of having dry skin!). But I didn't notice that it disappeared very quickly or anything, and combined with a setting spray, I say you're good!

Luckily, this blush turned out to be flattering after all! It has definitely exceeded my expectations. It is amazing for the price - or even in general. It ticks all boxes for me. I love the shade and the quality is way better than I expected. For as long as winter will last, this will probably be my go-to shade. 

You get 6 grams of product for €3,00. That's not even half bad!


Product link (the Netherlands)

All opinions are my own. Not affiliated or sponsored.