Pagina's

22 apr. 2016

Dupes In My Collection #1 (MAC, Nars, indie)

Hi friends!

Any beautylover can feel me on this. You shop online, considering every item you buy, thinking you are making a well-thought out choice... only to find out you already have something similar when it shows up at the doorstep. Sigh.

Instead of being angry at myself for wasting the money, I thought I'd better put my failure to use! So here are the dupes in my collection so you may not make the same mistake I made - or to find a dupe for something you like, that's also possible. But I'm trying to be heroic here, okay!

Let's start swatchin'.

Blog technician speaking: I'd recommend you put your screen brightness all the way up, so you can see the difference better!

MAC Lightscapade Silk Naturals Close Up Dupe



MAC Lightscapade Silk Naturals Close Up Dupe
MAC Lightscapade - Silk Naturals Close Up

MAC Lightscapade Mineralize Skin Finish - Silk Naturals Close Up (face powder)

Similarity: 97%
Overall: Close Up was meant as a dupe of Lightscapade, and I think they have succeeded. Both can be described as a light champagne beige with a neutral undertone. If I were to point out a difference, I'd say that Close Up is slightly warmer, but the difference is more than neglectable, especially on the face.

Go with: Close Up, hands down. 
Why: The texture of Lightscapade was extremely dissapointing. It is dry, powdery and not buildable at all. Close Up, however, was very smooth, pigmented and very buildable - I sheered it out for the picture so it would be closer to Lightscapade. The only benefit Lightscapade has is that it's pressed, but I'm probably going to sell Lightscapade, it's not worth keeping. Close Up is a lot cheaper also, it's only a dollar for the sample size you see hear, which is plenty.


Silk Naturals Fire The Chequered Lily Apothecary Invocation Dupe

Silk Naturals Fire The Chequered Lily Apothecary Invocation Dupe
Silk Naturals Fire - The Chequered Lily Apothecary Invocation

Silk Naturals Fire - The Chequered Lily Apothecary Invocation

Similarity: 100%
Overall: They are a sheer white base with a rose/red sheen and subtle sparkle. I did not expect to find such close dupes! They are completely the same - they even share the same subtle blue sparkle! Dupe, dupe, dupe.

Go with: ... both? 
Why: They have the same formula, really. It just depends on how much product you think you'll need. If you want a full size jar, you better go with Fire, but if you don't think you will use it that often, a sample is cheaper - since Silk Naturals doesn't offer those.

Nars Douceur Dupe Hello Waffle Blush Honey

Nars Douceur dupe Hello Waffle Blush Honey
Nars Douceur - Hello Waffle Blush Honey

Nars Douceur - Hello Waffle Blush Honey

Similarity: 85%
Overall: I'm so excited about this one! Douceur is one of my all time favourites and I'm very happy I found something similar. They are both a pink/brown toned neutral. Blush Honey is a bit warmer and pinker, but they are very similar. 

Go with: Hello Waffle Blush Honey.
Why: Simply because Douceur is discontinued, hehe! But even if it weren't, I'd still recommend Hello Waffle. The formula is amazing, and way cheaper - €5,50 vs €30. Might actually get rid of Douceur even though it is holy grail material. I'm sure HW's ingredients are better and I prefer the smooth formula, since Douceur can be quite sheer and dry.

Silk Naturals Sonic Mac Vanilla Pigment Dupe

Silk Naturals Sonic Mac Vanilla Pigment Dupe
Silk Naturals Sonic - Mac Vanilla pigment

Silk Naturals Sonic - MAC Vanilla pigment

Similarity: 98%
Overall: I'm always on the hunt for the perfect Vanilla dupe and this is the best I've found so far. Both are a white base with a golden/copper sheen. I'd say Vanilla has a more silvery base, where Sonic is more golden, but the sheen identical. The intensity and formula are the same on both.

Go with: Silk Naturals Sonic.
Why: Although it might not be much cheaper - the jar is $5 but you also get less than a MAC pigment - it is cruelty free and the ingredients are better.

Hello Waffle Fluffy Dukedom Brija You Know Who Dupe

Hello Waffle Fluffy Dukedom Brija You Know Who Dupe
Hello Waffle Fluffy Dukedom - Brija You Know Who

Hello Waffle Fluffy Dukedom - Brija You Know Who

Similarity: 65%.
Overall: I wanted to show this one for those who missed out on the Kitty Kingdom collection that Fluffy Dukedom was in. Fluffy Dukedom is a champagne base with a turqoise sheen. You Know Who is a cool-toned mix of golden and silver with an almost blue sheen. It's not completely a dupe, but it's comparable! Especially on the face.

Go with: Brija You Know Who.
Why: Again, Fluffy Dukedom is discontinued, so it's not available anymore. But if it weren't, I'd would not really be able to say which one you should choose: they are not similar enough for that. I prefer Fluffy Dukedom personally because it is more green, which happens to be slightly more flattering on my olive undertone - yes, I'm talking about how green highlights can be flattering, but that's besides the point, people! However, if you are more cool-toned, Brija might be a better option. But again: it is just about personal preference. I found the quality to be equally good, although Fluffy Dukedom had a more intens sheen.


I'm planning on making these a series, categorized by brand! So keep an eye out for that, because there are more to come.

Which item did you prefer? Do you got any dupes in your collection?