Pagina's

1 mei 2016

Makeup Geek Porcelain Contour Powders review + Comparisons

Lemme introduce you to my face real quick. I am a legit balloon - if balloons could be square. Yes, my head is a square with right about no dimension in my cheeks. I mean, I probably have some cheekbons anatomically speaking, but my cheeks thought it would be a great idea to go full hamster on me and not show them. Sigh. For that purpose, I need some artifical help and contour powders are my best friend. Although no contour powders in the past were the perfect match.

When Makeup Geek came out with contour powders for different skintones and undertones, I pricked up my ears. Normally companies come out with about 3 contourshades tops, and that's the end of that. Normally those shades tend to be either too dark or muddy looking, so I was curious about the lighter shades. I ended up getting the two shades for porcelain skintone. Worth the hype? Here are my thoughts!

Makeup Geek Porcelain Contour Powder Review Break Up Love Triangle


Makeup Geek Porcelain Contour Powder Review Break Up Love Triangle

Makeup Geek Porcelain Contour Powder Review Break Up Love Triangle
Break Up - Love Triangle
As I said, these are the cool-toned and warm-toned version of the contour powders for porcelain skin: perspectively Break Up and Love Triangle. Makeup Geek also carries shades for light skin, medium skin and deep skin. A round of applause for Makeup Geek!

I bought both because I figured it would be nice to create a neutral contour.

Makeup Geek Love Triangle Break Up Swatch
Makeup Geek Love Triangle - Break Up - Love Triangle & Break Up mixed

Love Triangle is - dare I say it - a bronzer. It is honestly just a bronzer. It is on the deeper side, yes, but I really don't think you need this product if you have a bronzer that is on the deeper end. I'm showing you some comparisons next!
Break Up is supposed to be a cool-toned version, but honestly it was warmer than I expected. However, these shades are meant for the wider audience that is generally not really as attracted to super-gray shades as the indie community is, so that decision is understandable. It looks really good on the face, though! I think the slightly warmer hint makes it more wearable although it is still cool-toned.
Both combined, it makes a really nice neutral-yet-on-the-warm-side contour. This is the way I use these most of the time.

About the formula: they are more pigmented than I thought! Not overly pigmented, but let's say, one dip in the pan with your brush is more than enough for one cheek. Personally, I wish there were a bit more buildable because it's porcelain skin we're talking about here!
They are blendable, but not as blendable as I'd like. It isn't bad by any means, but I have products in my collection that are easier to blend, like the Pumpkin&Poppy Oak Bark powder or my Hello Waffle blushes. Maybe I'm just spoiled with indies. All in all, the formula gets an 8+ for me. 

Time to see if I can find dupes!

Makeup Geek Love Triangle contour powder review - Too Faced Chocolate Soleil - MUA Bronzed Perfection - Lucy Minerals Light Bronzer - Silk Naturals Drama - Silk Naturals Beach Bunny
Makeup Geek Love Triangle - Too Faced Chocolate Soleil - MUA Bronzed Perfection - Lucy Minerals Light Bronzer - Silk Naturals Drama - Silk Naturals Beach Bunny

So, there you have it. It is pretty much indistuingisable from a lot of my other bronzers. I found that the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil and the MUA Bronzed Perfection are a perfect dupe. So if you have one of those, don't bother buying Love Triangle. 

Makeup Geek Break Up contour powder review - Pumpkin & Poppy Oak Bar - Catrice Starlight Espresso - TheBalm Bahama Mama - Addictive Cosmetics Victorious
Makeup Geek Break Up - Pumpkin & Poppy Oak Bar - Catrice Starlight Espresso - TheBalm Bahama Mama - Addictive Cosmetics Victorious
Break Up is more unique than Love Triangle, though. I found no dupes in my collection. And as I said before, it is not incredibly cool toned: of all my products only Bahama Mama is warmer. 

Onto face swatches!

Bare balloon face in all its glory - only foundation on my cheeks
Makeup Geek Break Up Swatch
Makeup Geek Break Up on my face
Makeup Geek Love Triangle Swatch
Makeup Geek Love Triangle
Makeup Geek Love Triangle Break Up Swatch
Makeup Geek Love Triangle & Break Up mixed on my face
You can find the look here

The difference between the shades on my face is not huge. Both are on the warm side on me and don't look muddy. Break Up is just ever more neutral and Love Triangle, so that one is more appropriate for cool-toned looks. Otherwise, I just mix them.

Other than that, they really do give a nice result on the face! They visibly cut my cheek in half - which I was looking for - so I am very satisfied with the result.



I feel like this review was all over the place, for which I apologize! But it comes down to this.
Love Triangle is pretty much a bronzer. If you have a bronzer that can work as a contour on you, you don't need this.
Break Up is a really good shade that works on both warm and cool undertones. It doesn't look muddy on my warm face because of the slight hint of warmth in there. If you want to get a good contour shade, get this and leave Love Triangle for what it is.

The formula is nice, but I wish it would be more buildable and blendable.

The powders go for $10 on the Makeup Geek website. They are also available on Beautybay for about €10,30.

All opinions are my own, no affiliated with any brand or website mentioned in any way.