Pagina's

1 feb. 2017

Dupes in my collection #4 - The Body Shop, Hello Waffle, Corvus Cosmetics, etc

Happy February!

Time for another dupe post. When I started this series, I didn't know I had enough dupes to fill up 4 posts, yet here we are! And I can probably - what am I saying, easily - squeeze in a 5th. That's consumerism for you.

This post contains a lot of LE Hello Waffle items, since I got those recently and discovered quite a lot of dupes or similar shades I already had. I know I should guilty about this, but I kind of don't. I know, I know, boo me, but a lot turned out to be the prettier version of what I already had. No ragrets.

Also, fun fact, it took me a good 4 post to figure out that pale highlighters are best captured in artificial light. 'Doh.

Onto the first!


Hello Waffle Emma - Hello Waffle Shenanigans swatch dupe


Hello Waffle Emma - Hello Waffle Shenanigans

Similarity: 95%
Overall: both are pale warm highlighters. These are basically identical, y'all. Shenanigans turns out  to be more cool toned and pink in real life. The description says it should have a grassy tint, but I'm not seeing it.

Go with: they are too similar to choose. If you are on the hunt for a pale warm highlighter and you have the chance to get both, don't.
Why: These are way too similar to justify having both. I have Emma twice, so I basically have the same highlighter three times over. Gorgeous, but I don't need that!


Hello Waffle Luna - Silk Naturals Spotlight highlighter dupe swatch

Hello Waffle Luna - Silk Naturals Spotlight

Similarity: 85%
Overall: both are pale, almost white, pink highlighters. The base shade is basically identical, but Luna is slightly warmer and - biggest difference - contains gold sparkles! So it leans a bit warmer. Also, Luna is intenser. Spotlight almost has a satin finish.

Go with: my personal preference is Luna, because I feel like it's more fairy-like and magical.
Why: ...But since it was part of Hello Waffle's (LE) Kitty Kingdom collection, it's hard to come by, which makes Silk Naturals your best bet if you're in a hurry to get a pale pink highlighter (lmao). Still, I'd recommend checking Sunday Swap posts on /r/IndieMakeupandMore on Reddit, since it is really beautiful.


Aromaleigh Marquess - Hello Waffle Hot Cross Bunnies highlighter swatch dupe

Aromaleigh Marquess - Hello Waffle Hot Cross Bunnies

Similarity: 70%
Overall: they are technically both purple shades with a golden shift, yet Marquess is darker with a more opaque base and Hello Waffle is lighter with more shine. They fall in the same colour family, although HCB is technically an eyeshadow and Marquess a highlighter, But in my book, they are both a highlighter. Hehe.

Go with: Hot Cross Bunnies.
Why: both are discontinued, but HCB tends to stick its head up occassionally! Especially around Easter. If I'm 100% honest, I prefer HCB as a facial highlighter as the base of Marquess can look weird on light skin such as mine. 

Tl;dr: Hot Cross Bunnies is a better bet if you want a purple highlighter.


Hello Waffle 25 - Hello Waffle Awoke At Dawn highlighter swatch dupe

Hello Waffle 25 - Hello Waffle Awoke at Dawn

Similarity: 85%
Overall: AAD is my all-time favourite highlighter, so I was pleased to see something similar! I don't know why, as the Lord knows I don't need more highlighters that look alike... but I just was, okay! Leave me alone already. Geez. 
Anyhow, these are really similar. The shimmer and finish is the same. Yet 25 is more copper, whereas Awoke at Dawn leans pink.

Go with: ugh, this is like Sophie's choice right here. But I say... ehm... er... well... I guess... 25. But only Awoke at Dawn is currently available.
Why: I just can't resist anything copper, man :( AAD was my baby and still is, but goddangit, 25 is really something. Unfortunately, it again was part of the Black Friday limited edition. So if you want to get your rose-gold highlighter fix, Awoke at Dawn still won't disappoint you. Waiting around until 25 pops up again is probably not worth the wait. But if you happen to run into it, get on it like Trump on a refugee.


Hello Waffle Up Close and Personal - The Body Shop Shimmer Waves Coral highlighter swatch dupe

Hello Waffle Up Close and Personal - The Body Shop Shimmer Waves in Coral

Similarity: 80%.
Overall: they are both orangy/coral shimmery cheek products, but not similar enough to call dupes. Up Close and Personal is a straight up orange highlighter with golden shimmer, whereas the Shimmer Waves are a coral blush with some coral/golden shimmer. They are close, but no dupes.

Go with: either hunt down Up Close and Personal (again, discontinued) or don't buy any at all.
Why: holy Sahara, Batman! Those Shimmer Waves are stiff. Really dry and the pigmentation is not good enough to justify the dryness (but does it ever?). They even make that sound that only really dry products do when you swipe your finger on it (you know the one!). I bought it with a gift card, but they are not worth the €22 they cost.* It gets me worked up just thinking about it. Up your game, The Body Shop!

*= update: apparently they cost €23 now!!! *Implodes*

Tl;dr: Up Close and Personal is like the Shimmer Waves, except better. In everything. It's like your crush that's in a relationship vs. the asshole, less attractive yet available younger brother. Don't settle.


Makeup Geek Cherry Cola - Hello Waffle The Art of Witchcraft - Corvus Cosmetics Berenice swatch dupe

Makeup Geek Cherry Cola - Hello Waffle The Art of Witchcraft - Corvus Berenice

Similarity: I'm not going to bother you with numbers, but they ain't dupes.
Overall: I thought these would be closer, as I consider them all burgundy shades. Although MUG is close to HW in shade, it clearly lacks pigment (although a loose powder is easier to get opaque than pressed) and Berenice is more brown (but still leans pink when blended out, it's weird).

Go with: Either Hello Waffle if you want a true burgundy, or Berenice is you'd like a touch of brown.
Why: MUG formula just doesn't cut it for me anymore. HW's formula is the most superior of all (and personally I prefer the shade), though Berenice is far from bad and great quality too. Just go with your shade preference. Berenice and TAOW are both currently available, though Hello Waffle tends to change up their collections.


I realise I tend to give the mainstream products a hard time in these dupe posts and they tend to be the biggest losers of every post. I don't think it's because I'm biased, the indie products just often seem to rise above them in terms of quality. I certainly don't intend these post to shit on mainstream products or to make a point that "indie is better!!!!". I'm sorry if I came across that way, I promise I have no hidden agenda. To prove my point, I'm planning to review a ridicously oh-my-god-what-is-life-expensive mainstream product, so stay tuned!


Let's catch up! How do you feel about these dupes? How has January been treating you? What did you have for dinner yesterday? I'd love to know!